Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Thank you 2010... Bring it on 2011!

 The past few years have been quite a whirlwind for me but 2010 has won the title of the "whoa-did that just happen?!" year of all years. I feel, for myself, I need to reflect for a moment. 

I'm lucky to have experienced some of the most amazing memories of my life this year, including accomplishing one very significant, very personal life goal ...

The completion and public opening of my studio/gallery.

This little fantasy I had planned and obsessed about in my head since I was a little girl became an actual reality in 2010. I finally had a place of my own... to paint what I wanted, when I wanted, as much as I wanted and for as long as I possibly wanted...and best of all I could finally show it and share it with anyone I wanted, anytime I wanted and that's exactly what I did!

"If you build it, they will come"
... has held so true for me in 2010. I'm incredibly grateful to those of you who have visited my studio and supported me this year. YOU have made this all possible.

As I sit in my studio right now, It still feels like a dream. I love this space and everything about it, from it’s creation, to what I continue to create inside of it, but mostly for creating inspiration in others that they can accomplish the same... with hard work, determination and passion, and for that alone, I am thankful for 2010.

 
You'd think that would be enough to make anyone feel accomplished? Well, 2010 proceeded to get even better. Just a few of the highlights from my year filled with surprises ...

  • I won the 2010 NH Spotlight Award for 'Outstanding Abstract Artist of the Year' (and gave a very nervous acceptance speech to an 800 seat auditorium. Something I thought I would never have the courage to do, I did... and survived!)
  • My work was featured in the Prestigious MassArt Live Auction, presented on stage in front of 600 collectors alongside the work of world renowned artists (I sat in the balcony holding my breath while bidders fought over my piece. 2 long minutes later it sold and for well over its retail value. I exhaled.)
  • I created my first 4' x 4' encaustic painting (a scale I had previously been incredibly intimidated by. It has now become my favorite size to work in)
  • I sold my first $4000 painting in 2010 (in 1998 when I sold my first $400 painting, I cried...then paid off my college credit card. This year I cried and installed a credit card machine. :)
  • I completed the 400th painting in my "Above and Beyond" series which I began in 2008. (350 which have sold so far. I've loved each individual piece and I feel this series is now complete.)
  • I had 2 solo shows of all new work (both of which were top selling shows in both galleries and worth every bit of stress. I cant wait for the next!)
  • I was featured internationally in multiple magazines, blogs and websites including the cover of The Boston Globe's- G Style Magazine.
  • Most importantly, I worked everyday of 2010 as a full-time artist, in a space I love, with my two dogs Joni and Marley at my feet. (and not many people are lucky enough to say that)
These, amongst MANY other deeply personal experiences, have made 2010 a year I will never forget.

I'd like to take this moment to thank each and every person who has helped make this year so fulfilling and memorable for me. My amazing friends and family, everyone who has visited my studio or purchased my work no matter how big or small, those who have taken the time to simply email me with kind words or share my work with others and every individual who has entered my life bringing inspiration, positivity, love and support (and sometimes a little wine and chocolate too ;) You know who you are and I thank you. 

I hope 2011 brings everyone as many memories and hope for the future as 2010 has brought me!
Happy New Year!
xo~Robin

3 comments:

  1. 2010 is going to pale in comparison to what 2011 will bring for us. ARE YOU READY?? You're an amazing artist and person and it's great to see all that you've accomplished. Love you! Jhina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my friend. YOU TOO! And coming from such a talented, hard working artist (and one of the coolest women I know) that means so much.
    I'm READY! Like I said... bring it on 2011! Its our year!
    ps. Can't wait to announce our collaboration show!(whoops... did I just let the cat out of the bag? ;) Love you too! XO from 2,708 miles away... ~r

    ReplyDelete
  3. great stuff Robin......inspiring

    Allison

    ReplyDelete