Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thank you! Award for Excellence in Mixed Media

After attending last Saturday Nights reception for the NAA's 12th Annual Regional juried Show, and speaking to many artists and patrons, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their wonderful compliments on both of my pieces exhibited in this show. I'd especially like to thank Mr. John R. Stomberg, the Deputy Director and Chief Curator of the Williams College Museum of Art, for his wonderful comments on my award winning piece "Everywhere and Nowhere". I was honored by his fervent critique of my work and I'd like to share it with all of you...

“This work confounds expectation, both formally and in terms of meaning, but replaces bewilderment with a keen sense that the process of engagement is the meaning and that the forms serve this purpose exquisitely. That is, this is a beautiful conceptual work that satisfies mind and spirit simultaneously. I only wish I had permission to handle it as well because the surfaces and the subtle transitions of texture are hard to resist.” -John Stomberg -Chief Curator, Williams College Museum of Art

John Stomberg
is the Deputy Director and Chief Curator of the Williams College Museum of Art. He holds a BA from Georgetown University and both MA and Ph.D. degrees from Boston University, with areas of specialization in Modernism and American Painting. He's worked with the Currier Gallery of Art and the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and also as director and curator for seven years at the Boston University Art Gallery.


Philip J. Stern Memorial Award for Mixed Media
Title: Everywhere and Nowhere
Media: Encaustic, oil, aluminum, paper, beeswax, thread, copper, nails and wire on braced birch

Once again....THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment