Saturday, May 30, 2009

Special Delivery! -for "Beauty and Its Opposites"- The International Encaustic Painting Conference Juried show

"Remains to Be Seen" 20" x 20"
Soliloquy #14 -10" x 22"
"Colloquy" 13" x 31"
all three of the above pieces are currently on display at the 301 Gallery in Beverly, Massachusetts

packed up and ready to go!
I just had to show off my shipping crate...custom built to hold my grids of 9 paintings.
Only an encaustic artist can love a wooden box so much. ;-)



This morning, I enthusiastically packed , prepped and delivered three of my newest pieces to the 301 Gallery in Beverly Massachusetts. I'm incredibly honored and elated to be one of only 20 artists chosen for the International Encaustic Painting Conference's Juried Show "Beauty and its Opposites", opening this Saturday, June 6th!

This group exhibition features 20 wonderful encaustic artists from across the US, selected by Nick Capasso, Senior Curator at the DeCordova Museum in Lincoln, Mass. Capasso selected the theme Beauty and Its Opposites to challenge participants to go beyond the beauty of the wax.

“Beauty is once again a relevant issue in contemporary art, and it is particularly relevant to encaustic where there is an expectation of beauty,” says Capasso, noting the lush surface and translucence of the medium. “I am personally interested to see how much one might intentionally subvert beauty. How might you make a work not beautiful and why? I’m interested in the dialog between the overtly beautiful and the non-beautiful.” - Nicholas Capasso

This conceptual theme, chosen by Capasso, spoke very personally to me since I strive to translate just that very esthetic in my own work everyday! This simply could not have been a more appropriate show for my work to be featured in. I'm really looking forward to seeing this exhibit in its entirety this Saturday, June 6th!! Please join me for the reception from 5-8!! Hope to see you there.

"Beauty and Its Opposites"
The International Encaustic Conference Show 2009
on exhibit June 6th -July 3rd
301 Gallery
at Monsterrat College
301 Cabot Street
Beverly, MA 01915

Hours: Thurs–Sat 12-5
or by appointment: 978.867.9604

Events hotline
978.921.4242 x3

click here for more information

www.montserrat.edu/galleries/301



No comments:

Post a Comment