Thursday, March 5, 2009

Award for Excellence!

"Soliloquy #14"-Encaustic and Mixed media on braced birch

I'm so excited to share some really great news! Not only did my piece get accepted into the Winter Juried Show at the NAA, but I'm honored to hear that I've won the "Award for Excellence in Mixed Media"!
My piece, entitled, "Soliloquy #14" -Encaustic, watercolor, metal and bark on braced birch was selected by Juror Elaine Mehalakes, Curator at the Davis Museum, Wellesley College, and will be on display and available for sale beginning Friday February 6th at the Newburyport Art Association.
After reading the article about the show in todays Daily News of Newburyport, I was delighted to see the jurors comments on the artwork in the show. Her closing words reflected, almost uncannily, the exact intention of my recent work.

"The breadth of compositional styles displays the thought that went into each of these works: Some perspectives offer an entry for the viewer into the depth of a picture,
while others eschew the horizon, giving us an unexpected view of the familiar."
-E. Mehalakes

And a quote from my own artists statement:
"It is the intention of my work that the viewer see the personally familiar in the most foreign, exploring the deeper roots of beauty with a new set of eyes; those beyond the surface or that which goes unoticed. -R. Luciano Beaty

The show's opening reception is Sunday March 8th from 3-5pm. I hope to see you there!

The Newburyport Art Association's Winter Juried Show
Sargent & Hartson Galleries
March 6 to March 29

65 Water Street Newburyport Massachusetts

www.newburyportart.org
#978-465-8769

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Robin!!

    Your piece is beautiful. You deserve it....

    Allison

    ReplyDelete